I’d been writing and composing proposals and sending them off for months when everything came to a screaming halt. The agents wanted to see potential clients face to face. How was that going to happen? They said not to show up at their office. No stalking allowed. So what could I do? I needed a writers conference. It was the next step to get published. After searching the web, the cost of attending one blared across the screen. I gasped in shock, and my jaw dropped. Could I find the money? My husband exclaimed that my writing was more important than money. Didn’t the agents’ websites suggest how much more likely they were to take me seriously if I made the investment to go? I found the Greater Philly Christian Writers Conference online, and squeezed my eyes closed as I hit the submit payment button.
God’s leading was evident when I left for the conference. I met two amazing ladies the first day, and we stuck together through the conference. They were a great source of encouragement and companionship. The speakers were funny and engaging, and I knew I was where I was meant to be.
So you’re asking yourself why I’m going on about this? I gained more than just contact with some great agents and publishers. This is what I got out of it:
- Connecting with agents on a personal level
- Meeting the most amazing people who are going through the same things you are in your writing career
- Great workshops and writing clinics
- Uplifting speakers who understand the difficult journey of a writer
- Selling you published books in the book store
- Advise from caring staff members
- Hearing why God gave us this purpose we must fulfill
So if you’re wondering whether or not to go, take the plunge. You’ll learn, grow, be strengthened in the Lord. For some of you, it’ll be the answer to the question, “Should I keep writing or quit?” If this is God’s plan for you, He’ll provide the money.