- Stand real close and talk to a foreigner in your expansive American way. True story. It took a few days to realize why they kept backing up and eyeing us with suspicion.
- Ask them where the restroom is? You’ll get odd looks for sure because each country has their own word for the bathroom. Ireland likes to use the word ‘toilet’.
- Did you know spring water is called ‘still’ in Ireland? That’s means it’s not seltzer water. Ask your waiter for spring water. They’ll love figuring that one out.
- Close the wide open door to the public bathroom in the face of the guy talking to all his girlfriends while they’re in there doing their thing. Privacy apparently isn’t that much of an issue over there. That’ll make them really love you. This happened in Kilmainham Gaol, Dublin.
- Accidentally drop your knife and then throw it across the restaurant as you try to scoop it up. Then make sure it clatters across the table on your third attempt to set it down. Happened to me in Donegal at a fine Italian restaurant. Real nice and embarrassing, I tell you.
Want to add to my list? Have a go at it in the comment box.
4 thoughts on “5 Ways to Embarrass Yourself in a Foreign Country”
Also try understanding them. Maybe say what did you say 3 times while they asked you a simple question. Best to have someone like your wife to translate….unless she is not with you. After the third attempt and a confused “what” on my face, they started talking as if I was in the first grade. What helped is when they used a different set of words that I did understand. Believe it or not, that was in a McDonald’s in Ireland.
So glad I could take this trip with you, Babe.
Or push your fully dressed sister in the pool outside the biggest hotel in Ireland while the entire dining room looks on in horror. Oh, I was only eleven at the time…
LOL. Was it an accident or did you do it on purpose, Kelly?