Boy did I have a rough few weeks. One thing after another went wrong. I got to the point where I just wanted to shut the world out for a bit. How did I do that? I pulled out a book and sat down to read.
This is the part where you Christian writers have a huge impact on readers. I found encouragement and strength in several books that pointed me to Christ, and gave me the edification I needed to keep going. It’s amazing how much we can glean and take with us through the week from even a Christian fictional work.
Here’s a list of the authors that inspired me through some tough days:
- Carrie Fancett Pagels: Return to Shirley Plantation- A Civil War Romance Novella
- Carrie does a great job showing life on a plantation during the Civil War. She also opened my eyes to a little known fact. Her story revolved around a slave who was 1/8 African yet looked white and her niece and nephew who also appeared to be white but were slaves.
- Kate does an exquisite job relaying the miracles of Jesus from the perspective of the people who received them. I loved how she dug into their lives and personal history to show why they needed a touch from the Savior.
- Diane’s novel was a fun story about a woman who ventures out to find her own way in the Midwest. Although she didn’t stick to the traditional view of the nineteenth century, I was encouraged by her message of the importance of looking on the inner man and not the outer one.
- Christa’s novel really made me think. She wrote in deep point of view about addiction and breaking the cycle through her main character. I was inspired by her style of writing. Her voice is very unique and I can’t wait to find more books written by her.
If you haven’t had a chance to read any of these, take the time to get your hands on them. You’ll be encouraged and uplifted by the message God gave these writers.