I’m a gum chewer. I can exhaust a piece of the best gum in no time flat. That also makes me a connoisseur of sorts. I could tell you which gum has the best flavor, which one lasts the longest, which one is most likely to trigger those happy childhood memories for most of us even if it only has five minutes of enjoyment in it.
A book can be like gum. There are many types:
- The ones that have the perfect flavor and texture all the way to the end.
- Sometimes we pick up one with a great cover and we can’t wait to taste the delights inside to find a surprise: we think it’s one genre and it turns out to be different.
- Sometimes we fall back on our old favorites for the sake of familiarity.
- Or what about the one that someone recommends to you and it has just the right taste for that day.
- There are ones like the best bubble makers. They build and build with excitement, and you can’t wait to see how they’ll turn out.
- And there are the ones that you know you’re going to love from beginning to end just because you’ve enjoyed their brand in the past.
There are so many flavors, colors, and consistencies in this giant world of writing. Take a little time to enjoy something out of your comfort zone, something new. You may find it was exactly what you needed today.